How it Should Be

Life was living in hell, the leash suffocates.
I wondered if you’d ever change your ways.
You can’t fool me anymore after these months and something was never quite right. 
So I just put our pictures away...
 You’re not my anything, so how could you be my everything.

 And it shouldn’t be this way.


Love doesn’t know distance, and that’s when I knew.

I can’t sit here and cry anymore today, not even on the inside.

You can’t wonder where I’ve been or who I am.

I don't fit into your mold and I’m always going to be the same.

You won’t ever see tears I cry, the ones; because of you.

Because these days, the ring on my right hand is too tight and it never really faced the right way.

And I found myself counting down to relief instead of sadness.


And it shouldn’t be this way.


It’s the same ol’ same, and honestly; I don’t care how you’ve been.

You remind me of those greyer days.

Tears. Made of paper and glass, tearing me down.

It was easy to get you off my mind ‘cuz I couldn’t stand living life that way.

And once you’re off, I won’t write you to tell you to come home.


And it shouldn’t be this way.


You won’t ever give me what I need and there’s no chance we can just be friends.

Love isn’t easy but it’s easier than this.

If you’d ask me to tell you I love you, you’d get your answer in the silence.

I always thought tomorrow would be better.

But it never changed and my light is no longer shining. 


And it shouldn’t be this way. 


Life’s a winding road and we went round and round.

I gave us a world of chances; chances you burned right through.

For me there’s no right, and for you there was no wrong.

But I just kept on, and I don’t know why.

There’s more me without you.


And it shouldn’t be this way.


The last kiss was sweet, but I knew it’d windup like this.

This time when I fall, don’t catch me.

You held me at a level I never want to see anymore.

You made me cry when I needed to smile.

I can’t die inside everyday, waiting for you to change.

But now I’m smiling through tears.

And I’m glad you’re not here.

And I think it’s time for you and your white horse to leave me alone.

And it shouldn't be this way.

All of my doubt needs to fly through the ocean.

I close my eyes and the sun shines through.

Morning light touched my skin today and the day sounded happier.

 Maybe this is how it should be.



I keep holding my breathe, the passion leaves my heart; seeps.

Waking up is easy to do and life’s better off this way.

I’ve found the way to make it without you.
Cuz now I believe it when I say I don’t need it anymore. 
And I won’t think of you while I’m happily with him.

I don’t want to fall in love; I need to grow up for love.


And this really is how it should be.

Comments