Country Leaks Out


Another dry hot day comes and goes away,
I just wanna go home.
I close my eyes and damn, this was my favorite view, looking down over those sprinklers and red barns.
To just sit there and laugh.
Memorizing the stars while we finished another pop from the town pump.
We cruise down Main Street just about as fast as ol’ Sheila can go, speeding at 28 mph.
But it’s a Friday night, so the town shuts down early to see our team.
And those cheers are heard from across town, ‘cause we just scored again.
I open my eyes and take in the city lights from my third story building, only hearing the desert buzz.

And that’s when the country leaks out…

My eyes drift close and see those yellow lights start to flash and it means that I better head on home.
Decorated storefronts and a rusty John Deer in a backyard.
Our feet swing from a dropped tailgate as dust kicks at our shoes,
Singing along to Hank Jr. and Shania.
We meet up at Pizza Hut to grab a slice before we head to our swimming hole
A car horn beeps to bring me back; gazing out over blacktop and the polluted city limits.

And that’s when the country leaks out…

I close my eyes one last time and breathe in…instead of exhaust and asphalt; I smell a wet dirt road after a summer shower that holds a million memories,
pressing that clutch to jam her into 4th to get home for curfew,
after the bon fire and some s’mores

And that’s when the country leaks out…

Find me a plane bound north.
Back to the mountains, back to the grass.
To break my back; scars from barbed wire and hiking.
And I’m proud to say I’m country.
A Saturday night with my crew by my side, a midnight dip and I’ll be ok.

And that’s how the country leaked out…



Comments