The Vow

Your vow to me was eternity, no death to tear us apart.
And what a wonderful promise, for our happily ever to start.

Soon I realized that it’s not about the end at all,
Like it’s not about the storm, but watching the rain fall.

Although inherently different from all of the rest,
We knew we would be forever and eternally blessed.

Vows were not written, but some seem misunderstood,
I feel it necessary to tell you your vows and yes, you’ve done good.

What really counts is what we put inside of this eternity.
And in only one year, all these vows have been made known to me….

From before our special day, you’ve vowed to fill the holes in my heart,
Vowing each and every day, showing me we’d never be apart.

I thought that I could be happy, all on my own,
But I couldn’t have possibly been more wrong.

And you vowed to show me everything I never knew I needed,
Giving your love, your passion, and desires unheeded.

You vowed to show me love, to open my eyes,
Displaying for me that love has all different skies.

You vowed to show me loves different landscapes,
Some with different colors, many with different shapes.

Some are skylines; some are meadows, all different heights.
Both unknown and terrifying, but all beautiful sites.

You vowed this love would take me high enough to kiss the glowing sun,
And that early morning, mid-July, you showed me; I was your only one.

You vowed to take me where I would no longer remember pain,
And you made my whole world suddenly and completely change.

You vowed to me no twist or turn could ever make me fall,
When you’re the mountain holding me up, giving me your all.

You vowed to not catch me every time I failed,
But instead sat down beside me and just let me exhale.

You vowed to let me fall and get some scrapes and scars,
And that you’d turn me around and point up to the stars.

You vowed to be the only one I longed to kiss goodnight,
Quieting my fears and kissing my nose, setting my dreams alight.

And as we lay here, in the quiet of the dark,
You vowed to steal not one piece, but every bit of my heart.

You vowed to be the blue sleepy eyes that would be looking back at me,
Each morning in your arms, and know that’s just where I should be.

And as you stare at me, you vowed to take every bit of me in,
As you read my face, my fingers, mouth, and limbs.

You vowed to hold me in your arms, inhaling our life each day,
Shining down on me, emanating your gorgeous golden rays.

And as I turn my head to listen to the beating of your soul,
You vowed each day, in my heart, there’d never be a hole.

And you vowed to help me laugh and live, falling in love with my life.
Already granting that wish by simply making me your lawfully wedded wife.

And you vowed to always hold me strong but ever so tender,
As you grasped my hand and held me strong, across the white cushioned altar.

You vowed to have the patience my love would often demand,
And vowed to walk beside me, when I was too weak to stand.

You vowed to speak when words were needed and desired,
And to share in my silence, when they were not or I was too tired.

You vowed to live within the warmth of my beating heart,
Much longer we’ll be together, than death do us part.

You vowed to put your arms around me, and to just hold on,
Even when I’m not so lovable, strengthened becomes our bond.

You vowed to look at me as the most precious thing you’ve seen,
You vowed to keep me safe and loved, with no in betweens.

And with those eyes, you could have set the sky on fire,
But you lit me up instead and took me even higher.


You vowed to make your love course through my veins,
Helping me through life, and taking my reins.

You vowed to be hooked and never to stray,
To always be hand in hand and lead me along the way.

You vowed I could taste your love, on your sweet and tender lips,
And to feel the strength of the storm from the safety of your ship.

I wanted to explore all of the places you’ve called home,
Because suddenly, you were mine, and I would never again roam.

And you vowed to love me harder than any pain I’ve ever felt.
Vowing to make your heart the safest place I’d ever dwelt.

You vowed that loving you’d be the best mistake I’d ever make.
That the burning in my heart was love and would never be an ache.

You vowed to give me love like lightning in the heart of a storm,
a passion that demands to be felt and a soul that will always be warm.

You vowed to love, to honor, to respect, and to care,
And you’re everything I never knew I always put in my prayers.

So these were your vows, whether you knew it or not,
But I’ve seen and heard them each day and now you’ve been caught.

You’re the man of the year, longest vows ever recorded,
I won’t tell the other men because their wives have surely been shorted.

We’ve made it a year and these vows continue to ascend,
So here’s to have and to hold, and never to end.


Comments